01 January 2014

Janathon: Time passes slowly

As is obvious from the time since my last posting, there has not been much running going on. Time now to reset the mileage counter and aim for a new target - the same target as last year, but with a better chance (I hope) of hitting it.

The plan was to take Lucy to Newbury to make her Parkrun debut, but a couple of things conspired against that. Most importantly, the weather was absolutely foul, with rain being driven by a blustery south-west win. The stats say it was 15mph but I'd say it was verging on a full gale (Force 8 on the Beaufort Scale: 'Twigs breaking off trees, generally impedes progress'), certainly a near gale (Force 7: 'Whole trees moving, resistance felt walking against wind'). There was certainly resistance felt running against the wind, but I doubt that Sir Francis Beaufort was a runner. And a lot of twigs have come down, so we have ample fuel for the fire which is very necessary on these dark, miserable days.

Anyway, to ensure that I have the best possible chance of keeping my resolution, I have signed up again to Janathon (click on the image to the right for more information). I am committed to running and blogging each day this month - until, if past experience is anything to go by, I sustain an injury that puts paid to it for a while. Today's wind-blasted, rain-soaked mile is not the start I planned, but it will do. And I can report with satisfaction that Lucy ran very obediently to heel on a short lead and harness. Her Parkrun debut will be on Saturday, all being well.



No comments: