14 May 2013

Run awhile

A coincidence of two small matters that reminds me of - what? Well, something important. Something that it's important to keep in mind.

Last night, at Nettlebed folk club, during an excellent evening with Fairport Convention in which we were treated to performances of Farewell, farewell, Who knows where the time goes, Mattie Groves, and of course Meet on the ledge, I also hear one of my all-time favourite Fairport songs, Walk awhile. Not because of the tune, although it's a great song for singing along, but for the sentiment. "The more we walk together, the better we'll agree". If only Richard Thompson or Dave Swarbrick had been runners - I mean at the time, not to suggest that they are no more, though Swarb has famously had the rare experience of reading his obituary in the papers - I think Run awhile would have been even better. But back in 1970 I would not have appreciated it ...

Then, this morning, my daily inspirational email from Runner's World:
Running is not, as it so often seems, only about what you did in your last race or about how many miles you ran last week. It is, in a much more important way, about community, about appreciating all the miles run by other runners, too. (Richard O'Brien)
I believe that's Richard O'Brien the actor and writer - and, obviously, and more importantly, runner. And clearly all-round good man. I have seen that one before, perhaps even shared it with readers of this blog, but it bears repeating. Shared it ... actually not an expression I find very comfortable: too American for my taste, as I grow to resent the intrusions into our language of more and more of theirs. But perhaps not inappropriate, because sharing is what it is all about. Appreciating all those other runners' miles, too. I never disparage what another runner achieves. At least, not knowingly.


No comments: