07 March 2013

I'm Going Home

Another few miles - 4.42 recorded ones today, though there should be a bit more because my Garmin operation wasn't too good. A short run to the office, pausing to phone a client (and shelter from the rain as I did so) and to deposit a cheque at the bank in Baker Street. Coming home, the long route, extended involuntarily: the gate on the towpath just after the tube bridge, a short distance outside Regent's Park, was open, so I carried on into that section of the canal where many boats are moored semi-permanently, with the thought that I might find the exit closed and have to retrace my steps - which would have been about half a mile to repeat. As it happened, I met the man who locks the gates - the turnkey, I guess - who'd secured the far, westerly, one and was heading for the eastern gate through which I had just passed. He told me I would have to turn round - had he been close to the recently-locked gate I might have pleaded with him. I put it to him (if I may be permitted a lawyerly turn of phrase) that he was out to boost my mileage: he concurred, and laid claim to a Mars Bar by way of reward. Did I look like a man with a spare Mars Bar?

I was never a TYA fan, but the news that Alvin Lee has passed away at the age of 68 gives further pause for thought. Musicians from my youth are dropping like flies.


No comments: