23 June 2011

Beware of the Dog

In the course of a morning's work, or more accurately a few digressions from it, I realised that I am already in the 16-week period marked out on a chart in front of my eyes, culminating in the Kielder Marathon on 9 October. And actually I'm doing OK: Monday 4 miles easy (I did about 3.5), Tuesday the same with a few gentle strides (I did 6.5), Wednesday 5M slow (I did 10 on the bike - can I count that?). Today 3 miles steady, so I laced up my Luna sandals for their first serious use and ran round and round the playing field about 10 times.
I didn't want to go too far from home in case I did my Achilles in or the PF came back, so laps of the field seemed a good idea. Nice grassy surface, too. I found I was keeping up a surprisingly decent pace, until I stopped to see if I could help a neighbour's two young boys control their dog which had decided to go after a bird. They didn't need my help.

Great break from working - and interesting to try meditating as I went, concentrating on my breathing and footstrike and trying to exclude everything else from my mind. But I kept finding I came back to the idea for a story about a legal author putting the finishing touches to his life work, for which the publisher has patiently waited 40 years. I am allowed to let my mind wander: the meditation techniques need to be taken up in small doses, rather like barefoot running. I think I have made good progress with both.


5 comments:

caballo tonto said...

Hi Pete, interesting read. Just wondering if you did the Kielder Marathon in the end.

Peter Groves said...

Long story, Caballo - the short version of which is "no". Longer version: I deferred my place last year because I was injured, and when I contacted them to ask whether I needed to do anything to use my deferred place this year they told me I'd missed the deadline, they'd sent me an email, and no, I couldn't defer again because they have stopped allowing deferrals completely. I eventually found the email: it looked like a bit of marketing rubbish which hadn't looked important among the scores of emails I get every day. Bah! But I'm only just getting back to fitness, so a M at this stage isn't on anyway. My feelings about Kielder are unrepeatable and I certainly won't bother again. Shame, as it looked like a great course. Did you do it?

caballo tonto said...

After all that preparation I was hoping you got the chance. Pity you were unlucky not to get a number, Pete. I love the course, it's a great route. I did it last year and this year (look at this http://tinyurl.com/caballotontokielder).
I wish you good luck recovering so you're off in your sandals again!

Peter Groves said...

I love the photo, Caballo! Are they real Lunas? Have we the only pairs in the country?

caballo tonto said...

I doubt we are the only 'nutters' in this country. Luna run a weekly poll on facebook, I am sure I saw some brits posting there.
They're the basic Lunas with rubberised thongs.
I like your red square picture. I stood there in 1983, and believe it or not my son is in Russia at the moment and will come back with a similar photo!