21 June 2007

An Open Letter to Charon QC

Charon, all these guys should be reading your blog, and mine too irregular
though it is. Mine, as I told you, is not a legal blog - not like
ipkat.com for example (which any self-respecting IP lawyer should be
reading). It contains a bit of law, lots about running, lots about
commuting and a little about some more recondite (or perhaps recherché)
matters principally to do with music that was at its most popular in the
early 1980s.
I attended your party at the Oxford and Cambridge Club this evening -
very nice, but I'm not sure I will be recommending membership to a
friend who recently expressed an interest in joining a London club: she
might, after all, be the wrong gender anyway - then I strolled back
through the Park to the office (one of the great pleasures of working in
Broadway) to collect my back pack. St James's Park tube station was
closed (one of the great displeasures ...) so I walked to Paddington.
That's 2.91 miles, if you're interested, although when I measured it I
went round the Horseguards end. I took the opportunity to make some
phone calls, check my emails and listen to some music.
I called Sarah, who received her final results today (a 2:1); she didn't
answer. I phoned Tor, who did answer so I had a nice chat with her. I
phoned Tony, and he didn't answer but he rarely does. So I listened to
the music on my mobile, a collection of three pieces: Slark, You're Not
Smiling, and a Miles Davis version of Summertime. The whole gamut of
20th century music, perhaps. OK, late 20th century.
Ben, as I strolled through Hyde Park I was put in mind of an afternoon
long ago (last year) when we stole half an hour of Robyn Hitchcock by
sitting on a bench outside the O2 festival. I was also put in mind of
Rose, my then colleague and running buddy who went to that festival as a
paying customer but obviously missed the best part.
The Audience track also reminded me (if briefly) of Rose, who told me
that her former boyfriend had played bass for The Audience (no
relation), and of an evening at The Borderline - following which, by an
amazing coincidence, Ben happened upon Tony and myself in a bar he
evidently knew. And it reminds me of my first Audience gig, only a year
or so ago, in the Underworld in Camden with Chris.
Slark revived more recent memories: the revived Stackridge's second gig
at the Rondo in Bath, of course, but more importantly an evening in
Newcastle City Hall in 1972, and several evenings between. It seems to
encapsulate my youth in a way that may other pieces of music try to do
but without success.
So, a packed 40 minutes walking back to Paddington. Many of the
passengers on my train seemed to be on their way to Glastonbury (Pilton,
in fact, as one passenger was at pains to emphasise) which brings to
mind one final matter: Stackridge played the first note at the first
Glastonbury (B, so Andy Davis tells us: whatever, it was the first note
of Teatime). The point of this digression is that I am getting closer
to hiring Stackridge for a Happening on 8 September, at which they might
just play that B again, and I hope a lot of other notes too. So make a
note in your diaries and get some sticks of rhubarb in. I hope we might
even get Whispering Bob Harris along, being as how he is local and has a
track record when it comes to introducing Stackridge. But at the moment
I am still waiting to hear whether James, Andy and Crun agreed yesterday
to accede to my request for their services - so keep monitoring this
space ...

No comments: