14 June 2006

Bridges Race

What an excellent way to spend a lunch hour! Having tried this event (http://www.optimisefitness.com/bridges/) today, I'm going to be a regular in the future, and already have one colleague lined up to run it next month too. It's not a route I would have run otherwise, but although it goes in the unfashionable direction (that is, west from Westminster Bridge) it does have the advantage that the crowds of tourists are all downstream.

Extrapolating from my best time for 5K, I told the organisers I should be on for 14:30 depending on the course (it's not as level as Silverstone, indeed it includes a flight of steps, and bridges commonly have a significant gradient) so they gave me a 6:30 handicap. In future I won't have to turn up promptly for the start ... Andrew, whose enthusiasm for the event persuaded me along today, spotted on the organiser's list of runners that Martin's best time for this event was 15 minutes: had I known that I would have been rather less bullish.

I didn't manage to do much about the runner in front of me, but by the time I reached the end I had passed five or six other competitors (out of a field of about 20), so I guess I will be stuck with that handicap: and my watch showed 14:50 - which works out at about six-and-a-half minute miles. There's life in me yet.

No comments: